There’s no denying that our work environments have changed a lot over the past few years. While some of us are back in the office (or might be soon) many of us have transitioned to permanent work from home or hybrid work situations. That’s great for work life balance, and cuts your commute to nothing, but it does raise another question: do you have the space for a home office?
The good news is that there are creative solutions for small offices that can help you to turn any seldom used corner into an office. One of those is the floating desk, so we’ve compiled a list of the 15 best space saving floating desk options.
What Is a Floating Desk?
Before we get into the list of floating desk options, we should clarify exactly what a floating desk is.
Although the name might suggest some kind of modern-day levitation technology, the truth is a lot simpler. Floating desks are desks that are partly or completely attached to a wall, and many can be folded out of the way. This means that they take up less space when they are not in use and are perfect for small offices or flex spaces.
Floating desks are great for smaller home offices where space is a priority, but they can also be useful in offices, where a desk might occasionally be required in a space that is usually used for something else. Mount one on the wall, and you’ll have one when you need it, and the floor space when you don’t!
The Best Options Out There
The good news is that there are plenty of options for floating desks out there. We’ve collected the fifteen best here, so you can find the perfect one quickly and easily.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases on this page at no additional cost to you.
Wall Mounted Table, Multifunctional Fold Down Wall Mounted Laptop Computer Desk with Storage Compartments
Dimensions: 23.5 x 20 x 20 inches
Weight: 19.95 Pounds
If you’re looking for a seriously tiny, compact folding desk, you can’t go wrong with this one! It’s manufactured from MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) so it’s strong, but since it’s designed specifically for laptops, it’s small and mighty.
This fold up version of a floating desk is ideal for very small spaces that have to do double duty.
- Easy hinged construction makes accessing the desk space quick and easy
- When closed, the unit is a slim storage cabinet with multiple storage compartments for office supplies and other necessary items
- Can support up to 30lbs when wall mounted
Easy to clean surface available in white and wood grain options
Wall Mounted Desk – Foldable and Adjustable Hanging Fold Up Desk with Two Cord Organizers, Removable Monitor Display Shelf
Dimensions: 38 x 20 x 1 inches
Weight: 24 Pounds
When you just need a desk, and storage is not a priority, there aren’t many options that take up less space than this floating desk. Stored against the wall, it takes up around an inch of space, but when it’s flipped down for use, it offers more than enough working room.
A great option for multi-use spaces or when you need to turn a corner of your bedroom or living room into a workspace.
- Super simple, clean design
- Modern black, laminated design is easy to clean
- Folds away almost completely when not in use
- Easy to use and sturdy folding brackets
- Integrated cable management solution
Rolanstar Computer Desk with Shelves, Wall Mounted Desk with Storage Shelf, Industrial Ladder Desk
Dimensions: 34.25 x 17.72 x 3.94 inches
Weight: 39.6 Pounds
If you are looking for a floating desk with a little more substance, this industrial-inspired ladder-style desk and shelving combo is a great option. This option doesn’t fold away as small as some of the other options here, but it still offers a very slim footprint. The style and design are made to be seen, rather than hidden away.
- Metal and wood design is stylish and easy to clean
- Easy to mount to the wall and sturdy once installed
- Includes integrated open shelving for office supplies or décor items
- Scratch and water resistant
- Very small footprint when folded against wall
Haotian FWT18-W, White Home Office Table Desk Workstation Computer Desk with Storage Shelves
Dimensions: 32.28 x 8.7 x 23.58 inches
Weight: 28.9 Pounds
If you don’t need a floating desk that folds, but you do need some storage space, this modern and solid bookshelf style design is a good choice. It has clean lines and is a good choice for multi-function home office spaces. Keep all your office supplies tucked out of the way, so you don’t need secondary storage.
- Easy to clean, modern and stylish white engineered wood design
- Large desk area that fits most laptops
- Includes several well-designed shelf spaces of various sizes to accommodate various items
- Over 66lb load capacity
- Easy to install
TILEMALL Fold Out Wall Mounted Convertible Writing Floating Desk – White
Dimensions: 22 x 6 x 30 inches
Weight: 18.9 Pounds
This little floating desk really is a multi-tasker! When folded closed, it’s a roomy cabinet that fits all kinds of office must-haves and has a handy blackboard on the front panel. Folded out of its cabinet form, and with the hinged leg in place, it’s a roomy and comfortable desk.
These kinds of folding desks don’t even look like desks when they are folded shut, so they’re great for spaces that need to transform from office to living space and back again.
- Bill organizers as well as fixed and adjustable shelves
- Corkboard and blackboard integrated into design
- Fold out support leg
- Modern and easy to clean white engineered wood construction
- Supports up to 20lbs
Note: This desk must be installed on a solid, brick or concrete wall.
Lipo Desk with Bookshelf with 4 Tier Shelves – Writing Floating Wall Mounted Table with Foldable Bookshelves
Dimensions: 23.5 x 37.5 x 59.5 inches
Weight: 38.55 Pounds
Another multi-functional floating desk that incorporates shelving and storage, a black board, and a fold out desk with support leg, this option is available in black, white, or grey. These types of desks take up very little space but offer huge functionality.
Another clever desk design that doesn’t look like a desk when it’s folded out of the way. Great for a corner of the living room, student dorms or flex spaces that need to work for many different purposes.
- Melamine coated engineered wood is durable and easy to clean
- Cabinet / leg panel incorporates a blackboard
- Various shelves and cubbies to store office necessities
- Sturdy and roomy desk surface when folded out
QEEIG Gray Wall Shelf Ladder Shelves Floating Wall Mounted Desk Standing Computer Desks
Dimensions: 30 x 11.8 x 48.5 inches
Weight: 27.95 Pounds
If you don’t need a desk that folds, but you still want to save space, this modern metal and engineered wood ladder style shelf and desk combo might fit the bill. Mounted on the wall, it’ll take up less than a foot of space, so it works in even the tightest of spaces.
These industrial style ladder shelves are meant to be seen rather than hidden, and they look fantastic in modern spaces.
- Modern steel and wood grain finish
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean
- Incorporates open shelving for storing office must haves or décor
- Table / desktop can take up to 180lbs, and each shelf can handle 20lbs (depending on what the unit is mounted to)
Industrial Retro Pipe Wall Mounted Office Desk Rustic Hanging Table Solid Wood Computer Table
Dimensions: 31.5 x 19.68 x 1.18 inches
Weight: 9 Pounds
When you need a simple, easy to install floating desk with loads of style, you can’t go wrong with this one. The industrial design is almost steampunk, and the sealed wood and metal is super easy to install and keep clean. There is no integrated storage here, but if you don’t need that, it more than makes up for it with design flair.
This shelf is designed to be mounted at whatever height you need to use it at, so you can use it with a chair, mounted lower, or higher up as a standing desk if preferred.
- Natural, high quality wood and steel frame
- Wood is carefully sanded and sealed to be completely smooth, water resistant and safe
- Fast and easy to install
- Wide and spacious desk surface
- Can be used for applications other than a desk, when you need a floating surface in a hallway, entryway, or other tight space
Prepac Wall Mounted Floating Desk with Storage in Black
Dimensions: 19.75 x 42.25 x 39.5 inches
Weight: 60 Pounds
This wall mounted desk might not be the lightest out there, but it uses the Prepac wall mounting system to securely fix it to the wall. So, it’s easy to install and very sturdy. A simple shelf style design that incorporates compartments for various items and a large spacious desk area is all you really need.
Prepac is a well-known American furniture manufacturer, so if you feel better buying a trusted brand, this is a good choice.
- Easy to install with the well-known Prepac mounting system
- Integrated cable management system to keep your wires in order
- Compartments with fixed and adjustable shelves for a variety of items
- Made in North America
Home Office Table Floating Computer Desk, Multi-Function Folding Wall Mounted Table Desk with Storage Drawer and Shelves
Dimensions: 32.3 x 16.7 x 35.4 inches
Weight: 26 Pounds
Slim and simple, this shelf and desk combo incorporates three storage shelves and a generous desk area that you can use for a laptop or for writing. This minimalist floating desk is designed in a white / grey wash material, or a rich walnut that will complement any décor.
- Sturdy and well made
- Incorporates roomy shelves that can keep all your office must haves out of the way, or be used for books, knickknacks, or other small items
- Easy to install and keep clean
- Small footprint, which folds away almost completely when not in use
Manhattan Comfort Bradley Mid Century Modern Home Office Floating Corner Desk with Keyboard Shelf
Dimensions: 43.98 x 31.1 x 21.06 inches
Weight: 36.66 Pounds
If you need a floating desk, but you literally only have a corner to spare, this clever design from Manhattan Comfort is a great choice! Easy to mount and with a design that incorporates shelving and a pullout workspace, it’s perfect for any office with a modern design and limited space.
Corner mounted floating desks make the most of space that you might not otherwise have a use for and leave the space on your walls for other things.
- Mid-century modern design style
- Manufactured from coated MDF and MDP that are water resistant, strong and durable
- Available in various colors and in one piece or two-piece sets
- Gliding shelf can be used for a keyboard, so this floating desk is suitable for use with a smaller desk top computer
Prepac Wall Mounted Designer Floating Desk in White
Dimensions: 21 x 42.5 x 20.5 inches
Weight: 56 Pounds
When you want a floating desk that looks more like a traditional piece of furniture, this classic design from Prepac is a fantastic choice. The simple, sturdy design is easy to install and mount, but incorporates deep and spacious shelves and compartments under the desk surface – so there’s a surprisingly large storage volume built right in.
This floating desk doesn’t rely on any bells or whistles to make its case. It’s just made for a purpose, and it does it well.
- Available in white and ebony
- Uses the well-known Prepac mounting system
- Hidden flip up panel for chargers, power bars and cables
- Below desk storage can be used for your laptop and small office supplies
- Easy to mount and clean
- Modern design works with most décor styles
Haotian FWT07-W, White Folding Wooden Wall-Mounted Drop-Leaf Table Desk Integrated with Storage Shelves
Dimensions: 35.43 x 23.62 x 29.92 inches
Weight: 28.66 Pounds
This simple folding bracket desk design is easy to install, easier to use, and provides a large work surface and a surprising amount of storage. With shelves for everything you might need to have handy in your work area, it’s perfect for small offices or student dorms.
When the brackets are folded back, the desk panel hangs down, completely out of the way until you need it again.
- High gloss white finish on engineered wood
- Easy to install and to keep clean
- Lots of integrated storage
- Hinged “leg” brackets fold in and out in seconds, to make the desk quick and easy to use
HOMCOM Wall Mounted Writing Computer Desk Workstation with Foldable Space Saving Design & Ample Interior Storage Black
Dimensions: 23.5 x 6 x 19.75 inches
Weight: 25.4 Pounds
If you need a slightly more substantial floating desk, this shelf, drawer and desk combo is a great choice. It incorporates compartments, cubbies and even a drawer into a slimline design, with a fold down desk area. Unfortunately, it’s only available in darker colors at the moment, so if your décor is light and bright, it might not work.
- Large desk that can take up to 44lbs
- Folds into a super slimline 6” depth
- High quality MDF with melamine coating is easy to clean
- Sturdy metal hinges that are durable and easy to use
WZHONG Wall Floating Computer Desk
Dimensions: 80 or 100 cm
Weight: 22.25 Pounds
The smallest and simplest floating desk on this list, this super simple design is suitable for both desktops and laptops. Simple, clean, and easy to install shelves, sliding keyboard drawers and brackets can be installed anywhere, and take up very little space.
- Available in 80 and 100cm wide options
- MDF with anti-scratch, easy to clean, water resistant white coating
- Extra quiet slide out keyboard tray
- Easy to install flat pack
- Requires a wall that can handle the load capacity
How to Choose a Floating Desk
There are a lot of different types of floating desks out there, as you can see from our selection of the best of the bunch above. However, before you start shopping for a floating desk, there are a few things you need to consider. These include:
- What your design style and décor is. Floating desks come in modern, industrial, minimalist, and other design styles, some of which might not work with your current décor. If you’re decorating a new office, consider what the other furniture will look like, and what your personal taste is.
- Whether you need integrated storage. If you are going to use a floating desk in a room with other kinds of storage, you might not need storage built into the desk. But if you’re turning a corner into a workspace, and won’t have much space to keep stuff, you might need a unit with shelves, drawers, and other storage solutions.
- The available space. Some floating desks fold up to take up as little as a couple of inches. Others stay open all the time and might require a foot or two of floor space all the time. Spend some time considering the layout of your office space, and what kind of room you have before you start looking for a floating desk.
- Whether you need a corner unit or not. If you only have a corner to spare, a regular floating desk won’t work. So, consider how you are going to lay out your office space, and choose accordingly.
- The type of wall you’re attaching it to. Many floating desks come with mounting systems that can be used on most kinds of walls. Others are only suitable for brick or concrete walls. Make sure you know that there is a suitable wall to attach the desk to before you buy one that needs extra support!
- The material and finish. You want to get a desk that is easy to clean. Most modern designs are water and scratch resistant, but make sure that it states that in the description.
- The weight capacity of the desk. Floating desks have vastly different weight carrying capacity, and this can affect the usability of the desk. If you just need somewhere to put your laptop, you probably don’t need much weight capacity. But if you plan to have other things on your floating desk, you might need a little more.
- Many furniture manufacturers do offer a warranty on their products, but not all. If this is important to you, confirm it before you make any purchase.
- How many floating desks do you need? If you are installing more than one floating desk, or you might need more than one in future and you want them to match, you might want to buy them at the same time. Even when you buy the same product from the same manufacturer at different times, colors and other features may vary. This might not matter, but if it’s important, consider buying all the units you need at the same time.
Shop, Compare and Take Your Time
As you can see, there are many different types, styles, colors, and sizes of floating desk out there. Some fold, some have fold out supports, and many include smart features like blackboards, shelving, and cable management systems.
If you’re looking for a folding desk, these are all great choices, but you should always take your time when choosing any furniture. Compare each one to your wish list and must haves and take the time to read reviews and ask questions.
We hope these tips and product information helps to make the choice a little easier, and that you find the perfect desk for your space and your needs.